Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never before have many scientific advancements and new techniques emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the opportunity to lower or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by elegant ads about a specific laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Choose a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. Find another one if your physician will not tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go in other places. You're not buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision click for more than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for a lot of individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of countless people worldwide.